Thursday, March 23, 2006

Respecting the Alter Call

Last week while at the Joyce Meyer Ministries Conference in Winston-Salem, something happened that really annoyed me. I should have been prepared when Joyce asked that attendees be respectful of those seeking to turn their lives over to Christ by waiting until the alter call was completed before leaving. I must admit that I thought it was an odd and unnecessary request... until I actually saw it happen.

When she started the alter call, people starting hopping up all over the place, obviously to rush out to be the first to leave the parking lot. Joyce even quipped "What's the rush? I'm the one doing all the work here, all you have to do is sit still for a few more minutes!" You'd think that would have embarrassed people enough to sit down, but it didn't. In fact, people continued to leave their seats.

Now keep in mind that this was a coliseum with approximately 10,000 attendees, most of whom I would assume were Christians. I watched in utter disgust as the people who were trying to make their way down to the stage to receive Christ were held up and blocked by "Christians" anxious to leave early.

The sight reminded of someone inviting all of their new in-laws to their home after the wedding and leaving as their guests/new family members were arriving. How rude! I can only imagine what type of message this sent to those preparing to receive Christ. As members of the body, we should be praying for them and thanking God for their salvation, not running to the parking lot! Let's have some respect people!!!!

1 comment:

Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said...

I agree with your thoughts completely. I cannot imagine why anyone would choose to leave then. That is very sad.

I enjoy listening to Joyce Meyer on TV.

I've enjoyed your blog and plan to visit fequently.

Have a great upcoming weekend!

Shelly