Monday, August 10, 2009

A soulful knitting testimony

I've recently started corresponding with a knitter from England (I live in Virginia) who is exploring the possibility of starting a knitting ministry in her church. Vivienne's e-mails have been so uplifting and inspiring, and quite timely with respect to some specific things I've been praying about.

With her permission, I'm sharing the e-mail message I received from her this morning:

I had to write and tell you my news. I have started to knit a prayer shawl(on my own). I dragged out my stash of wool, sorted through it, found some lovely soft wool in browns, pinks and beige. I am knitting stripes with more pink than the browns, as I have more pink wool. I just sort of made it up as I went along, dedicated my work to Him, prayed as I knitted and on Sunday, took it to church with me and knitted through the meeting. There is a young art student who attends my church, she sits at the back every week and paints, it's her way of glorifying God. So I sat on the floor, just behind her, and we had a creative huddle! Her painting, me knitting.

I experienced something I didn't expect though, I felt God's love moving down my arms into my fingers and into the shawl. This is all new to me, but I do feel blessed that God has given me this gift, to be able to create something beautiful and Holy out of 2 sticks and some string. :)

You have no idea how excited I am, this is day 3 of my prayer shawl experiment, and already God has opened my eyes to ways of serving Him I never dreamed of.
What a wonderful expression of what Soulful Knitting is all about.

No comments: