Sunday, June 11, 2006

A Prayerful Request for Knitting Angels

A lot of things are happening behind the scenes that make me believe that God is preparing to take this ministry to the next level. There are so many hearts who are hurting because of sexual assault, I believe that God is calling us to help in some small way. As I mentioned a few weeks ago, we've already received our first order for a prayer shawl as part of our fundraising efforts, but I also have prayer shawls for several survivors that I have either recently completed or need to start soon. I believe in the my heart that the need for these shawls is going to far exceed my ability to knit them, and that's going to happen very quickly. It's become clear to me that even if I knit all day every day (and believe me, I would if I could), there's still no way I could knit enough prayer shawls to get them to a mere fraction of the women who could be blessed by them.

For that reason, I'm asking for a few knitters who are committed to reaching out to women who have been victims of sexual assault through this ministry to join with me to knit these special prayer shawls. In keeping with the "it takes a village" theme, yarns are being donated by women (and companies) all over the country and even Canada, so it only seems fitting that the shawls be lovingingly and prayerfully made by women from all walks of life in all parts of the country (and beyond) to help create them. The plan has always been that women who eventually come to the knitting retreat will not only get a prayer shawl of their own, but will be able to help make a prayer shawl to leave behind for the next guest. But there's no reason why others who want to help can't get involved right now.

The shawls a very easy to knit (knit every row). I will supply the yarn, already cut into scraps, joined and wound into balls. All I ask is that volunteers supply their own circular needles. I would then send you enough yarn to make a shawl, along with the pattern (although it's straight knitting, there are a few little details that make a big difference in the finished product!). Once you're finished, you'd send back the shawl (I would do the finishing and add the fringe here). And then, hopefully, you'd request more yarn to make another one! :)

All volunteers are welcome, of course, but I'm really praying for dedicated knitters who are willing to partner with me to keep this effort going on a regular basis. In order for me to start reaching out to crisis counselors, pastors, therapists and others who can help identify the women who are in need of these shawls, I need to be able to count on a consistent, steady supply of them.

Please prayerfully consider joining with me on this. If you are interested, or have any questions at all, please e-mail me. If you have questions, comments or suggestions that you think others would benefit from, also feel free to post them here as well. I know there are knitting angels out there who God intends to use to help with this special outreach. Thank you in advance if you're one of them.



No comments: