Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Good-bye Molly

One of our 2 puppies died last night. Despite the fence we'd built around half of the back yard to give them plenty of room to roam and play, Molly could never be confined. She jumped the fence and ran out into the street and was hit by a car. Thank God and His mercy that she appears to have gone quickly.

I don't think the whole county was large enough to contain Molly with her boundless energy and enthusiasm for life. Molly was not the smartest of puppies, in fact I think she was mentally challenged, but she was the happiest dog I've ever seen in my life. All she ever wanted to do was play. She always had a stuffed toy in her mouth, with her tail wagging a mile a minute. That was her signal that it was party time.

Molly's sister Gracie was the smart one of the pair. Technically, Molly belonged to Ann and her sister Gracie was mine, but since they were inseparable, those distinctions didn't really matter - except when Gracie needed quiet time to work on her cure for feline leuke mia and the answer to world peace and Molly wanted to run around in the back yard. At those times, Gracie was definately MY dog and Molly belonged to Ann.

Gracie has been strangely peaceful today. I think she's grieving privately in her own way. She's spent all of her young life taking care of Molly and I suspect that although this is devestation, it didn't come as a total shock to Gracie. She always risked getting herself into trouble by following Molly, just to try to keep Molly safe. I look at Gracie now and wonder what she must be thinking. I hope she doesn't feel responsible for what happened because she couldn't stop Molly from jumping the fence.

I've also been thinking about the person driving the car that hit Molly. It must have been around midnight on a dark country road. Molly was mostly black, with a few white spots and she was fast as lightening. I doubt that the driver even saw her, and if he or she did, I'm sure they didn't have time to stop. I pray that if the driver is aware of what happened, that God will comfort him or her as well.

I'd planned to post on a few other things today, but I just don't have the energy. And besides, I sense that Gracie needs me. So instead, I'm going to sit out on the deck with Gracie, listening to Christian music, communing with God, fondly remembering Molly and enjoying the beautiful spring weather. I'll try to post again tomorrow.


2 comments:

Jan said...

I'm so sorry about your Molly. Our dog Shiloh got hit by a car and died not too long ago. We were all devastated, she was such a good dog. I pray you will be comforted by Gracie today. It sounds like you have a good plan.

Mary said...

So sorry for your loss, Syd -- that's heartbreaking. May God provide some comfort for you during all of this. I'm glad you're giving Gracie some attention, too -- I'm sure she's mourning and wants some love.

Here's a question that's troubled me for years: where do animals "go" when they die?