Thursday, April 06, 2006

Rest in peace

This morning my best friend's father died. It was a sad day, but it was a glorious day as well. He had been sick for quite some time but his health declined rapidly over the last few days. I was blessed to have met him a few months ago, and though our time together was not lengthy, it was very well spent. I can honestly say that I loved him and that I will miss him deeply.

The last time I saw him alive, he wasn't aware that I was there in the traditional sense. But laying across his lap was the prayer quilt that I'd crocheted for him a few months ago. Each time I saw him, he mentioned how much that quilt meant to him. Seeing him lying there with it over him brought tears to my eyes. I am so thankful that through that simple act, I was able to provide just a tiny bit of comfort to him when he needed it most.

Despite the sadness of his passing, his daughter Ann and I are thankful that we serve such a merciful God. It was a beautiful sunny day, Clint passed away peacefully in the comfort of his beautiful home, surrounded by a family that loved him, along with wonderful caregivers from the local hospice program. His pastor shared with us that Clint was so excited about going home to be with the Lord that he almost felt guilty about leaving his loved ones behind.

I cannot imagine the thought of facing death without knowing the love of God and the grace and mercy of salvation. I can't conceive of the fear that a person must face if they haven't accepted Jesus as their Savior. For them, the best case, I imagine, would be for death to be the utter and absolute end. How hopeless and sad is that? But even worse, consider those who believe that God exists, but have chosen not to accept Him. That is unspeakable fear.

My prayer tonight is for the family and friends that Clint left behind who are mourning his loss. I pray that they find comfort, strength and hope in God's love. That in addition to finding comfort in the arms of a loving God, that they will find support and encouragement from friends, neighbors, caregivers, church members and others that God places in their lives to help them through this difficult time. I pray that God will provide these messengers with the wisdom to say and do the right things when needed, as well as the wisdom to know when to move out of the way.

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the father of sympathy and the God of every comfort, who comforts me in every trouble, so that I may also be able to comfort those who are in any kind of trouble or distress, with the comfort with which I myself am comforted by God. (2 Corinthians 1:3-4)

Goodbye Clint. Rest in peace.

1 comment:

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

I'm sorry to hear about your friend's father. However, since he knew Jesus, then He's much better off than we are on this earth. Praise God that Clint had a relationship with Him!